Tue, May 31|
6-Week Parent & Tutor Support Course - Online Spring/Summer Session
Six affordable 2-hour online interactive sessions SIGN UP TODAY!
Time & Location
May 31, 7:00 p.m.
About the Event
About the Event
Discovering that your child has a learning difficulty can be a frightening, disorientating experience. Many parents worry that, although they feel they understand their child, they don’t feel they understand their dyslexia. Just as the dyslexic child is left with feelings of inadequacy after every class test, so are caring, dedicated parents are left feeling ineffectual when they sit down to help him with his homework.
Yet this need not be the end of the story. The "Gift of Dyslexia" Davis methods afford unique insights into how dyslexics think, and how they can learn. When key principles of the dyslexic learning style are understood and mastered, supporting your child's learning can start to be effective, stress-free, and fun for both of you.
These six weekly practical sessions, devised by dyslexia author Richard Whitehead and endorsed by Ronald Davis, are the journey that will make this happen. As a Davis Dyslexia Specialist, former secondary school Special Educational Needs Coordinator, and creator and presenter of courses for parents, Richard has widespread experience both with the classical Davis approach and with experimental approaches to learning for picture-thinkers. This along with the Davis method offers you and your dyslexic child results for change, growth, and mutual understanding.
Presented by Nadine Schumont, as a licensed Davis Dyslexia Facilitator, I have made it my personal mission to help others avoid the same frustrations and feelings of “otherness” that plagued me through much of my life. My passion is to bring a level of understanding and awareness regarding different learning needs and the impact learning disabilities can have. Paying it forward by assisting others to discover that their dyslexia is a “gift”, rather than a shortcoming, ultimately helping others have that same moment of “discovery”.
*Cost - $349.99
- Sliding scale *[Contact email@example.com for more information]
What you will learn:
Session 1: Confused?
- Your journey as the parent of a bright, but struggling learner.
- The role of confusion” in a learning difficulty.
- The Davis “Release” Procedure.
Session 2: Gifts and Problems
- The talents that go with learning difficulties.
- How can a talent cause a problem?
- Word thinking and Picture thinking.
Session 3: How do dyslexics think and learn?
- The concept of ‘disorientation’ and its role in a learning difficulty.
- The problem with “if.”
- The Davis “Create-A-Word” procedure.
Session 4: Learning for Picture Thinkers
- Visualization for reading comprehension
- Punctuation as a reading skill
- Retention of what has been read
- Why Clay?
- The Davis “Picture-At-Punctuation” and “Symbol Mastery” techniques.
Session 5: Going Deeper
- “Picture-At-Punctuation” with fiction and non-fiction.
- Dictionaries: their power for picture-thinkers.
- “Symbol Mastery” on subject-specific vocabulary.
- Picturing technical definitions.
Session 6: Pulling it all together
- Comprehensive course review.
- Creating a complete support strategy for your bright but struggling learner.
*Cost - $349.99
Assistance available if needed *[Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information]
May/June 6-Week Support Course
May 31, 5:30 p.m.
Sliding Scale - Contact PicturePerfectLearningSolutions@gmail.com for more information